Friday, October 22, 2010

How can I get my ferrets to like each other?

I have a 3 month old boy and an 18 month girl ferret. I recently acquired the boy on Tuesday.



They don't play very much...the boy tries to get her going by running at her and running away, looking back to see if she's following. He'll go and give her a nip or jump on her, etc. She doesn't always play back...usually she goes somewhere else. When they do play, there's a lot of squeaking and hissing (it's hard to tell who is making what noises). I don't THINK they are fighting, though...no one is running for their life and neither tail gets puffy and flared.



My girl doesn't seem to like playing with him...rarely ever does she instigate playing. I have a tube hammock in their cage, and she always pushes him out whenever he tries to crawl in behind her.



How can I get her to like him more? Or is there no hope? They don't fight like they hate each other, there's no blood, no running way frantically (it's always in a playful chase). She used to have three other cagemates over a year ago, and they all got along. They all played all the time, they all shared a single hammock and cardboard box bed, etc.



I give her ample attention, so I don't think she feels jealous. Whenever I pick up and hold the boy she looks at me, I don't know if it's in sibling rivalry or just curiosity.



Is there anything I can do to get her to open up? Thank you so much!How can I get my ferrets to like each other?
sometimes time is the best way. also ferrets live longer if they have another ferret around. It sometimes takes a moment for them to warm up. She is probably adjusting to a new family member. Feeling him out, while he is more playful and chill. I know it sounds weird but besides time the best thing to do is pet/play with him, get his smell on your hands then play with her. so she associates his smell with love/fun. works on cats to. plus it speeds up the feeling comfortable around each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment